Minutes of 02.08.12
The Monticello Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors met on February 8, 2012 at 7:00 am at Java Jones. All members were in attendance: Tina McDonough, Kim Brooks, Pam Foley, Regina Digmann, June Fellinger, Rick Meyer, Nick Miller, Jim Miner, Don Peters, Don Runyon, Holly Zumbach, Cheryl Dirks as Ambassador liaison and director, Barbara Hoffman.
President-elect McDonough called the meeting to order at 7:05am. New members were welcomed and introductions were given.
Presentation 1: Scott Brighton and Ben Eastburn presented the Greater Monticello Foundation’s Panther Night Prowl- a 5K Run or Walk plus a 2- mile Fun Walk/Run scheduled for Saturday, June 23rd. Time of events: 5:00pm kids races; 5:30 5K/2 mile run/walk; 6;30 post party and music. A DJ has been hired. Request is for the Chamber to provide the beer tent, food vendors and other activities. It was moved by Fellinger, seconded by Miller, to provide the beer tent, food vendors and some of the other activities. MC
This event will be our “Fun on Friday Night” held on Saturday night. A committee will be formed to work with the Panther’s Night Prowl Committee.
Presentation 2: Joe Oswald from the Monticello Fire Department presented the Firemen’s plans for Friday, July 6th.A band has been hired to perform on the stage. To pay for the band, there will be a charge at the gate, however, entrance will be free after 9:00pm. The firemen are in charge of the fireworks; the chamber will support with monies in the Fireworks Fund.
Balance in that account is $2,630.25 plus about $1,000 has been collected with 2012 dues.
Request is for the chamber to be responsible for the beer tent and food vendors.
It was moved by Digmann, seconded by Fellinger, to provide the beer tent and contact the food vendors. MC
Minutes: Peters moved to approve the minutes of 01.05.11 Brooks seconded. MC
- Account Balances, Profit & Loss Budget vrs. Actual and balance sheet as of 02/06/12 and current bills were presented to the board. Digmann moved to accept the presented financials. Peters seconded MC
- Chamber gift certificate report for January; written $3,070.00 redeemed $4,424.00
- Miller reported on the proposed redistribution of bank accounts with the two platinum bank members.
- To Citizens State Bank- ( from Bank of the West) the money market account as they pay the highest interest rate @.55%
- To Ohnward Bank- ( from Bank of the West) the Chamber checking account
- To Bank of the West- the Chamber gift certificate account (previously held at Ohnward)
It was moved by Runyon and seconded by Zumbach to accept the above transfer of accounts. MC
- Commercial Club: Zumbach reported the Commercial Club is promoting SHOP SMART, SHOP MONTICELLO
- Proposal is to use a frequent shopper card; for every $20.00 spent at a business, the shopper would receive a stamp; once $200.00 is spent, the shopper can use one card at a time for a $5.00 discount at a participating business. Details with proposed shopping card will be discussed at their next meeting on 2/21.
- Commercial Club also discussed providing pizza and water for Fun on Friday nights.
- Discussed how chamber bucks could be purchased on line.( perhaps with paypal)
- Sandy Moats continues as Commercial Club chairman
- Banner committee of Runyon as chairman and committee members Brooks, Dirks and Meyer will meet to finalize selling details of the banners.
- All board members will help with this task.
- Banners: Runyon reported on the status of the Banner Project. Pictures are completed and banners are now ready to sell for $125.00 a piece. The banners are 2 sided with business logo at the bottom. The city will install.
- Ambassadors: Dirks reported the Ambassadors first meeting of the year is February 22nd. There are 25 ambassadors and their function is to welcome new businesses, congratulate new owners and recognize business achievements.
The 2012 Ambassador officers are: Cheryl Dirks, president; Kimberly Kremer, vice-president; Bob Goodyear, secretary; Jerry Retzlaff, Sergeant at Arms.
- Director’s Report: Hoffman
- Correspondence Thanks yous were read from the Fred Herman family, Dan Goodyear, Kris Kosar A letter was received from the Monticello High School Post Prom Committee asking for a donation.
- Membership status as of 2/3/2012
101 businesses have paid; another 14 businesses have committed to pay
- 3 businesses have rejoined: CarQuest, Eastern Iowa Visiting Nurses and Michael’s Clothing
- 9 new businesses have joined: 151 Landscape & Construction, Advance Construction, C & B Embroidery, Daly Creek Winery & Bistro, Innovative AG Services, Katalyst Fulfillment Solutions, Langer Farms, Stephen Motors, Tri-County Propane
- Chamber directory- Businesses are being categorized not only for the directory but also for the Chamber Bucks list.
- All Chamber monthly meetings- The first meeting is scheduled for Thursday, February 16th at Julin Printing. The topic is Effective Business Marketing Through Printing
- Request for vacation Day- February 10th. It was so moved by McDonough, seconded by Fellinger. MC
- Wrap-up annual meeting & banquet report with financials
- Board members received a complete financial cost of event
- Expenses were $2,342.50 (under budget) while income was $2,016.00 Net loss of $326.50
- Ticket sales was a concern with a total of 73 tickets sold of which only 59 went to non-board members
- 2013 Annual Meeting Committee: Fellinger, Hoffman and from Citizens State Bank Philip Larabee & Cory Ranney
- Approval of Appointment of Pam Foley who is fulfilling Paula Wilson’s remaining two years of her term. It was so moved by Brooks, seconded by Miller.
- Election of Officers Slate of Officers for 2012
- President, Tina McDonough
- Vice-President, Kim Brooks
- Second Vice-President, Rick Meyer
- It was moved by Fellinger, seconded by Miner, to accept the 2012 slate of officers as selected. MC
- 2012 Calendar of Events was reviewed.
- June 11- Golf Outing- Planning committee- Digmann, chairman; Miller, Zumbach, Hoffman
- June 23- Panther Prowl & Fun On Saturday Night
- July 4th- Ambassadors carry the banner; volunteers will be needed
- July 6th- Fun on Friday Night & Fireworks- Chamber responsible for beer tent & food vendors.
- July 18-22 Great Jones County Fair
- Jones County Chamber booth; Monticello and Anamosa share cost and volunteers
- Beverage tent
- July 27- Ragbrai in Anamosa-possible bus tours to Monticello, McDonough Canoe rentals- canoeing kayaking, tubing on the river
- August 10- Fun On Friday night- Band suggestion- Busted Grumpies- Committee: Zumbach plus others
- September 10- Joint Golf Outing with Anamosa –need to discuss
- October possible dates: 13-14 Fall into Fun Open House weekend, 30th Treat on the Streets
- December activities
- Christmas light contest for residents
- Christmas window contest for retailers/businesses
- Christmas Walk Extravaganza; opening residences
- Christmas Tree Extravaganza
- Great Christmas Give-Away- Commercial Club
- December committee- Miner, Hoffman plus others
- Communications- briefly discussed
- Website needs updating!!
- Discover Jones website- listing of all community events for all of Jones County
- Miscellaneous- Pam Foley brought to the attention of the board the magazine “Our Iowa”, a beautifully illustrated magazine featuring primarily Iowa’s small towns. Advertisements featured many small town businesses and events.
President McDonough adjourned the meeting at 8:45 am.
Respectively submitted Barbara Hoffman, MACC Director